Google
 

Kamis, 05 Juli 2007

Why using Firebird?

This statement is base on my experience, so maybe it's not true for you. Firebird version that I know for the first time is 1.0 version, since then I fall in love with Firebird (FB). Thanks for my friend that introduce this database for me (he is my senior in STTS and I was work from him as part time programmer when I was still in university). The first point that I like is the installation is quite simple and easy to understand. Second, it already has view, trigger & store procedure that using PSQL (the procedural language that similar with Oracle PL/SQL) , so I not spend to much time to understand FB. Third, FB is free and there is so much free tools that you can use, like IBExpert Personal Edition (one of the best tool for administrating FB) for free. Fourth, it has an active community that will help your probem at the FB Support mailing list (firebird-support@yahoogroups.com) . The 1.5.x version has more speed than 1.0.x version. Many people ask about the documentation of FB, yes it is still in development, the one that I use is the Interbase documentation and FB release notes , but now there is a book by Helen Borie that explain almost all thing that you want to know about Firebird (I already add this URL to this Blog's links). FB is perfect for small to midsize company (I suggest you to use 1.5.3 version for better performace), but I think it'll perform better after the 3.0 version that can use multiple processor (SMP). The lack of the 1.5.x version is that it doesn't support derived table and the poor index tree but both will be fixed in 2.0 version. If you have a comment please add in this blog

2 komentar:

Anonim mengatakan...

For those who want to know more about FB, check the "Get to know Firebird in 2 minutes" paper at www.firebirdnews.org/?page_id=165

Anonim mengatakan...

Hello,

I'm glad to know that there is more and more Indonesian use Firebird. I am too a Firebird user from Indonesia (beginner-mid level, has some past experiences with other RDBMS). I think there might be a significant number of Indonesian Firebird-user, but little are known about them on local paper publication or in internet.

A good fact is, one of the most popular accounting package in Indonesia, Accurate, has Firebird as the backend.

I always recommend Firebird to anyone asking me about database servers. Firebird is ideal; you can not get the same combination of power, simplicity, reliability and cost from any commercial and open-source RDBMS. What Firebird lacks are "evangelists" (or whatever you may call it). For example: count the number of Firebird books (the answer is 0 for titles in Bahasa Indonesia).

Let us be the Firebird "evangelists" in Indonesia, in ways we can. Cheers.